One of our favorite places to be is in the kitchen. We love to bake and cook and it all stemmed from our mom's passion of cooking. She would find a recipe that she loved, and then make it all year long. We used to say, "That was the year of the cheesecakes" or "That was the year of cinnamon rolls." Some of our fondest memories revolve around cooking together in the kitchen. We love to get together as family and contribute our best recipes for the meal. And we are constantly calling each other saying, "You've got to try this recipe!" We'd like to share our favorite recipes with you. So, happy cooking, happy baking, happy eating, and then happy exercising afterwards to burn those calories!


Friday, September 21, 2012

Crunchers

I feel awful that I can't remember what website I found these babies on, but they looked yummy enough that I knew I wanted to try them. And they were amazing! I made a batch today for when my kids got home from school. I had to take the 2 middle kids on an errand. I left my oldest at home with the youngest, and when I came home, the batch was a fourth of the way gone! Just the right amount of sweet and salty mixture. So simple to do and something different than cookies.

Crunchers


INGREDIENTS:

- about 80 Club Brand crackers (similar to saltines, but they are rectangle shape and more buttery)

- 1 cup butter (2 cubes)

- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs

- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

- 1/3 cup sugar

- 1/2 cup milk

- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter

- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips

DIRECTIONS: Line an ungreased 9x13-inch baking pan with foil, leaving an extension of foil on both ends. Line up the bottom of the pan with a single layer of crackers (when I did mine, my pan was horizontal, and I had 8 crackers going across the top and was able to do 3 rows like that).

In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, white sugar and milk. Bring to a boil and then boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and spread half of the mixture evenly over the crackers. Place another single layer of crackers, followed by the rest of the butter mixture, and finish off with one more layer of crackers.

In a small saucepan, combine peanut butter, chocolate morsels, and butterscotch morsels. Melt over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Spread evenly over top of crackers. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Lift foil overhang and remove bars from pan. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment