One of our favorite places to be is in the kitchen. We love to bake and cook and it all stemmed from our mom's passion of cooking. She would find a recipe that she loved, and then make it all year long. We used to say, "That was the year of the cheesecakes" or "That was the year of cinnamon rolls." Some of our fondest memories revolve around cooking together in the kitchen. We love to get together as family and contribute our best recipes for the meal. And we are constantly calling each other saying, "You've got to try this recipe!" We'd like to share our favorite recipes with you. So, happy cooking, happy baking, happy eating, and then happy exercising afterwards to burn those calories!


Friday, February 17, 2012

Summer's Brownies


Oh how I love brownies. When we were younger, and if we were having a bad day, my mom would make us Bad Day Brownies. I have since realized that it seems ingrained in me, that if I'm having a rough day, that I bake...not a great habit to get into, but it's all about willpower and having the ability to not eat the whole batch! (Which, let's face it, if you're having a bad day, it's pretty difficult to really have will power). Ahhh well.

As much as I have always loved my mom's brownies, my taste buds have changed as I've gotten older. My mom's are more cake-like and I was needing more fudge-like. These brownies are my ALL-TIME FAVORITE brownies IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!!!!! I love them fresh out of the oven and I love them when they're cooled off too. My favorite way to have them is chilled and cut into fudge-size cubes. That is how I serve them when I make them. The cinnamon in them adds that hint of flavor that makes people always ask, "What is that little twist of flavor?" Also, most brownie recipes tend to have the majority of the chocolate flavoring come from unsweetened cocoa powder. Not these babies. Beware...they are super rich!

Although the way to make these brownies is a little bit random and different from making other brownies, just follow the steps exactly as I direct and you should have a great batch in no time!

Summer's Brownies

INGREDIENTS:

- 1 1/2 cup flour

- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder

- 1/2 tsp. salt

- 2 cubes butter

- 1 tsp. cinnamon

- 2 bags chocolate chips (These are very rich, so stick with semi-sweet and not milk chocolate.)

- 1 1/2 cup white sugar

- 1/2 cup brown sugar

- 6 large eggs

- 2 tsp. vanilla


DIRECTIONS:

1. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder and salt and set aside.

2. In a saucepan, combine the butter and cinnamon and stir with a wooden spoon on low/medium heat until the butter is melted. Pour in ONE of the bags of chocolate chips and keep stirring until the chocolate completely melts. Remove from heat and stir in both sugars until combined.

3. In a microwaveable bowl, heat the 6 eggs in the microwave for 30 seconds PRIOR TO cracking. (You could also just set the eggs out on a counter 20 minutes before beginning so they get to room temperature).

4. In a large mixing bowl, crack the eggs and add the vanilla and whisk together. Pour the melted chocolate mixture from the pot into this mixing bowl and whisk the eggs and chocolate mixture together until you can no longer see the yellow color of the eggs.

5. Using the wooden spoon, pour the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture and stir all ingredients together. Pour in the other bag of chocolate chips and stir together.

6. In a PAM-sprayed 9x13 pan, pour the batter in. Bake at 350 degrees for 3o minutes. Voila! (Note: I have ONLY tried this in a glass pan using my electric oven. I don't know what adjustments you would need to make if you were using a metal pan, or if you were using a gas oven, so just pay attention. Just bake until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few moist crumbs attached). Let cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment