One of our favorite places to be is in the kitchen. We love to bake and cook and it all stemmed from our mom's passion of cooking. She would find a recipe that she loved, and then make it all year long. We used to say, "That was the year of the cheesecakes" or "That was the year of cinnamon rolls." Some of our fondest memories revolve around cooking together in the kitchen. We love to get together as family and contribute our best recipes for the meal. And we are constantly calling each other saying, "You've got to try this recipe!" We'd like to share our favorite recipes with you. So, happy cooking, happy baking, happy eating, and then happy exercising afterwards to burn those calories!


Friday, February 10, 2012

Cherry Almond Sugar Cookies

I absolutely LOVE the flavors of cherry and almond when it comes to sugar cookies. (Does Lofthouse Cookies come to mind anyone)? Since today was our family's "Fat Friday" when I bake cookies, I wanted to try to find a great cherry almond sugar cookie recipe. I think I found us a keeper! Friday is sort of just a fun day at our house since it's the day that I let my kids have friends over after school, and I bake something yummy. Well, these were devoured by the kids (I may have contributed to the devouring). Oh, and I love the shade of pink that the maraschino cherry juice naturally turns the frosting. I think the little red pieces of cherry look so pretty too. We found that these taste best when they're chilled. Enjoy!!!

Cherry Almond Sugar Cookies


COOKIE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup (2 cubes) butter, room temperature

- 1 cup sugar

- 3 eggs

- 3 tsp. baking powder

- 1 1/4 tsp. PURE vanilla (Mexican vanilla is my absolute fave)

- 1 1/4 tsp. PURE almond extract (I happen to use almond bakery emulsion; it's in the cake decorating aisle at Walmart)

- 4 cups flour


DIRECTIONS: Cream all ingredients except for the flour. Gradually add the flour, but do not overmix. Roll dough out on floured counter space to 1/2 inch thick and cut with cookie cutters. (I happen to thoroughly dislike rolling out cookie dough and cutting with cookie cutters, so I just used my mini cookie scooper, and flattened them with the base of a glass cup prior to baking).

Bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes. Let them cool on the pan for a few minutes before removing. Let cool completely before piping frosting on top. I think these are best served chilled.


FROSTING INGREDIENTS (mix below ingredients together):
- 2 pound bag of powdered sugar

- 1 cup (2 cubes) butter; room temperature

- 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla

- 1/2 tsp. almond extract (I happen to use almond bakery emulsion; it's in the cake decorating aisle at Walmart)

- 1/4 cup milk

- 1/3 cup pureed maraschino cherries with juices (I take a 1/3 measuring cup, fill it with a HEAPING amount of cherries [stems removed] and then fill the rest of the cup with the juice, then puree it)




2 comments:

  1. Those were AMAZING! I ate like 50 of them Yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best cookies EVER!!! I am in love with these cookies! Thanks for making us some! We'll be making more today! :D

    ReplyDelete